Providing Your Tissue for Research: What You Need to Know
This 4-page basic booklet, written in plain language, explains what tissue is and describes the uses and potential risks of providing tissue for research.
Many trials ask patients to provide tissue for current and future testing. Studies have shown that patients do not understand what is meant by “tissue” and why it is needed for research. This item can be a useful addition to informed consent discussions, particularly when tissue is requested. This booklet addresses these basic questions:
- What is tissue?
- Why do people do research with tissue?
- How do you collect the tissue that I give to research?
- What happens to my tissue after it is collected?
- Will I find out the results of the research using my tissue?
- Why do you need information from my health records?
- How is my privacy protected?
- What are the risks to me if I give my tissue to research?
- Can I change my mind?